Friday, July 13, 2007

Building Foundations

I've been thinking a lot about foundations. Not just dressage basics and how to create a relaxed horse who is willing to try for their human... but also other foundations too.

It's logical to me that if a horse's feet are not in balance, everything else would be compromised to some degree. When Hannah first came to Dances With Hooves, she landed toe first with each foot fall. That has been corrected, but I'm not convinced that her foot is in complete balance still... so to that end, I've found a barefoot trimmer that will trim for me. I want to give Hannah the best possible opportunity to see what she can do. In order to do that, I feel her foundation needs to be solid and correct.

Beyond her feet, I also feel a chiropractic adjustment is in order, because often foaling can cause a misalignment in the spine, just due to the process of foaling. I don't see evidence of any particular pain, but I can feel a difference in the quality of canter, left and right lead. I want to rule out misalignment because if that's the problem, all the training in the world isn't going to fix it!

There are so many other components to a good foundation. The proper saddle fit, proper bit shape and fit & dental care When I think about it, all the training in the world is pointless if the foundation isn't solid.

Beyond all of the physical components, I think there is also an emotional component. I believe we (humans) have the obligation to create a safe environment for our horse during training. An environment where they can learn with minimal stress and confusion. Feeling safe means feeling it's ok to make mistakes. No one, not horse or human, can enjoy learning if making a mistake means punishement will follow.

The truth is that optimal learning will not take place without a bit of emotional nurturing. I was recently sickened by a video on YouTube, showing a horse's leg tied up while the "trainer" (I use that term very loosely in this case) mounted and forced the horse to canter around a pen on 3 legs. I see no earthly reason for such inexcusable human behavior. It is our job as the human to lead with kindness and train without brutality. Regardless of the reason for such methods, if the horse had been started with a good foundation, felt emotionally, mentally and physically prepared for every step in training, such horrible methods would never have been necessary in the first place.

I know Hannah's past had it's rocky moments, and she learned some very negative behaviors on order to cope with humans. I wonder once a poor foundation is established, is it possible to completely rebuild it and undo any damage done? I imagine it depends upon how much damange and how forgiving the horse.
.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Fabulous entry, Elaine. Good for you, I agree with everything you've written. Hannah is one lucky girl, now. Your kindness and compassion is being reflected back to you, in how well Hannah is doing now, and I'm sure she has much more to teach you and to give to you.

penella22 said...

Its nice to see that Hannah is really making you think. My experience with rescue animals has been that they help us grow in new and different ways. What I used to see as important is so trivial now. I've gone from fussing and stressing over little details to being very thankful for the more important things; the day my rescue dog finally showed an appetite for his food, rather than being scared of coming forward to eat; the day Sage dragged me forward so he could literally hug a woman who was crying because her horse had just bucked her trainer off; the day I cared less about what my hair looked like than how well Sage's wound had healed. Animals have brought me that change in perspective, and I am very thankful for it.

I too, love this entry...I almost feel as if you could write a whole novel...

laura said...

Oh my...what a great entry! Really made me think - and I totally agree. I have a friend with a Hanoverian gelding who hasn't been performing at the level he usually gives. After being seen by a chiropractor, many vets, and a visit to Guelph University - still no diagnosis. In the end, a farrier was able to solve the problem. After her geldings feet were "balanced" by a farrier he is now being brought back into work - and feeling great again!